I’m a Dental Hygienist. My main role is to help patients prevent dental problems such as periodontal disease and decay, and examine the extraoral/intraoral tissues for any abnormalities. Some of the tasks I carry out on a daily basis include:
- Oral hygiene instruction/advice helping the patients to keep the teeth plaque free at home
- Secure fissure sealants which is a protective coating placed on biting surfaces of back teeth to help prevent decay
- Apply gels-fluoride varnish if roots are exposed or sensitivity is present
- Scaling/root surface debridement-cleaning above and below the gumline
- X-rays if requested by a dentist
- Dietary advice especially on reducing sugar intake to help prevent decay
I studied Dental Nursing in Athlone IT. I then went on to complete Oral Health Promotion and Dental Radiography courses. In 2013, I received a diploma in Dental Hygiene from Trinity College. I joined the Reena Wadia Perio School and completed the Essentials of Periodontics, the Dental Hygienist course and the L.A. course. I’m currently studying a diploma in Nutritional Therapy.
I enjoy educating patients on the importance of improving their oral hygiene and preventing periodontal diseases as the mouth is a gateway to the rest of the body. Research shows that periodontal disease is linked to systemic diseases. I also enjoy helping nervous patients overcome their fears of the dentist, it’s very rewarding.
I have eight top tips for good oral hygiene:
- Use plaque search tablets regularly.
- Use an electric toothbrush.
- Floss daily or use TePe brushes/picks at night preferably.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste (1,450 ppm).
- Spit out your toothpaste, don’t rinse out after.
- Use a tongue scraper.
- Limit sugar intake in your diet as regular acid attacks can cause decay.
- Mouthwash just freshens your breath, it’s more important to mechanically remove the plaque by brushing and cleaning interdentally.
Five fun facts about me are:
- 1. I’m from Galway!
- I like running and have completed a few half marathons.
- I play camogie.
- I have an adorable dachshund puppy at home called Coco.
- Despite wearing PPE everyday at the clinic, I love fashion and makeup!