Dr. Kate Tuffy
I am a general dentist with a special interest in cosmetic dentistry. My role includes carrying out examinations and forming treatment plans for both adults and children. I provide a wide range of treatments such as fillings, composite bonding, root canals extractions and crowns.
My qualification is a Bachelor of Dental Science and I graduated from Trinity College Dublin. I studied there for five years and really enjoyed it. I am keen to continue my studies throughout my career to keep up to date with new and advancing treatment options for my patients. I hope to do a course in facial aesthetics and Invisalign over the coming months as I am passionate about cosmetic dentistry.
I chose dentistry because I love working with people and I find helping patients to overcome their fear of the dentist very rewarding. I also love giving patients the confidence to smile and be comfortable with the appearance of their teeth. I find that there is a good work-life balance in dentistry so it was the perfect fit for me.
I would advise prospective dental students to shadow and speak to dentists currently working in practice. I think it’s important to get an insight into the day to day life as a dentist and decide whether it is the career path for you. I spent time working at a practice once per week during college to make sure I would love it. This was invaluable to me as I learned so much and I hadn’t realised that general dentists could provide such a wide range of treatments.
I have three top tips for good oral hygiene:
- Attend your dentist for an examination and a scale and polish at least once a year
- Floss in between your teeth to prevent decay and gum disease
- Use an electric toothbrush. Its less technique sensitive and gives you that dentist clean feeling at home
Five fun facts about me are:
- I’m from Mayo!
- I love show jumping
- I love travelling and have been to Canada, America, Spain & Italy, and hope to travel more in the near future
- I enjoy a glass of wine & love meeting friends for nights out
- I love skiing holidays & after 3 trips, I still can’t ski very well